Happy August! The fall semester is coming up faster than you think. Before I went to college, I was nervous about gaining weight and not being able to eat healthily. Studies show that 60.9% of college students gain on average 7.5lbs their freshman year.
- Get a group fitness schedule. Group fitness classes offer all kinds of workouts from interval sculpt, to yoga, to Zumba and beyond. It is also a great way to meet like minded people.
- Get it done in the morning. By the end of the day, the workout is likely to not happen. Let the workout energize you and get you ready and fresh to focus the rest of the day.
- Sneak it in. Try a 2-minute wall-sit while brushing your teeth, walking an extra block or taking the stairs.
2. Eat Enough Fruits and Vegetables
An even scarier statistic than average college weight gain? 94% of undergraduate students don’t eat enough fruits and vegetables.
Here’s 10 ways to get enough in!
- Get a to-go blender so you can make green smoothies in your dorm room
- Steal as much fruit as you can from the dining halls
- Always have dried or fresh fruit in your backpack for a snack
- Whenever you eat a bowl of cereal or oatmeal, put a little bit of fruit on top
- Carrots, red bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, celery are great snacks to take on the go maybe with some hummus or peanut butter
- When making sandwiches in the dining halls, make sure to stuff them with lots of vegetables
- Try salad as a main dish, pile it high, and load it up!
- When you go to to the pizza or pasta bar in the dining hall, ask for light on the meat and cheese and PLENTY of vegetables
- Choose the vegetarian option at the hot bar
- Include a green salad with your dinner every night
3. Late Night Decisions
- When we get stressed, we reach for high fat, high sugar, salty foods. Avoid keeping a lot of junk food in the dorm room.
- Purchase portioned out peanut butter or nutella packets to avoid overeating it
- Keep healthier snacks like fat free granola, fat free popcorn, rice cakes
- Try a brownie cliff bar instead of a brownie
- Chocolate soy milk is a great dessert!
- Keep alcoholic beverages to a minimum: 1 drink for women and 2 drinks for men per day is recommended
4. Be Careful Who Your Friends Are
- Friends can pressure you to drink or eat more
- Friends can judge you for eating healthily
- Surround yourself with people who will encourage and support you to accomplish your goals