When I come home from school, mom knows I’ll be asking for her chili and cornbread. Yesterday, I had fun helping her make it. When my dad got home from work, he started stirring the pot, too. A memory I will never forget. A bowl of chili is more than a bowl of chili, it is comfort, love, and a healthy meal for strength and vitality. Enjoy ❤
Mom’s Vegan Chili
Level: Easy Prep: 25 minutes Cook: 30 minutes Serves: 6-8 servings,
Adapted from Emeril Lagasse’s Vegetarian Chili
- Large Pot
- Large Knife and Large Cutting Board (or use the food processor S blade for quicker rough chop)
Ingredients: Feel free to chop as finely or as roughly as you prefer. I like big chunks of mushrooms and veggies, but a more fine chop will give a delicious meaty texture as well.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil (we used safflower)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions (learn to chop an onion)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 medium zucchini, stem ends trimmed and cut into small dice
- 2 cups corn kernels (we used frozen)
- 1 1/2 pounds portobello mushrooms (about 5 large), stemmed, wiped clean, and cubed
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 14.5oz cans of diced tomatoes (Muir Glen Fire Roasted – No Salt Added)
- 3 cups canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth/stock
- diced avocado and chopped green onion, garnish
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, and garlic, stirring until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, corn, and mushrooms, and cook, stirring, until soft and the vegetables give off their liquid and start to brown around the edges, about 6 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and stir well. Add the beans, tomato sauce, and vegetable stock, stir well, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and adjust seasoning to taste.
Rough Nutrient Estimate Per Serving (Based on 6 Servings):
- 311 Calories
- 7g Fat
- 13g Protein
- 51g Carbohydrate
- 12g Fiber
- 0g Cholesterol
Mom’s Incredible Cornbread
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 1 C cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C sugar
- <1/2 C oil
- 3/4 C non-dairy milk
- 3 Tbsp apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4-1/2 tsp fine grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray 8 x 8 inch square pan
- Combine and mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls
- Fold wet into dry ingredients (do not over-mix, mixing flour too much with wet ingredients will create proteins that will form a tough product)
- Pour into 8 x 8 inch pan and sprinkle a little sugar over the top
- Bake for about 18 minutes or until desired texture. No worries about undercooked eggs. Share with those you love most ❤ 🙂
Food GroupsAmount Per PortionGrains0 ounce(s)Whole Grains0 ounce(s)Refined Grains0 ounce(s)Vegetables4¼ cup(s)Dark Green0 cup(s)Red & Orange1 cup(s)Beans & Peas1¾ cup(s)Starchy¼ cup(s)Other1¼ cup(s)Fruits0 cup(s)Fruit Juice0 cup(s)Whole Fruit0 cup(s)Dairy0 cup(s)Milk & Yogurt0 cup(s)Cheese0 cup(s)Protein Foods0 ounce(s)Seafood0 ounce(s)Meat, Poultry & Eggs0 ounce(s)Nuts, Seeds & Soy0 ounce(s)Oils1 teaspoonLimitsAmount Per PortionTotal Calories232 CaloriesEmpty Calories*38 CaloriesSolid Fats22 CaloriesAdded Sugars16 Calories*Calories from food components such as added sugars and solid fats that provide little nutritional value.Empty Calories are part of Total Calories.NutrientsAmount Per PortionProtein10 gCarbohydrate38 gDietary Fiber10 gTotal Sugars14 gAdded Sugars4 gTotal Fat6 gSaturated Fat1 gMonounsaturated Fat 1 gPolyunsaturated Fat3 gLinoleic Acid1 gα-Linolenic Acid0.1 gOmega 3 – EPA0 mgOmega 3 – DHA0 mgCholesterol1 mgMineralsAmount Per PortionCalcium98 mgPotassium1158 mgSodium255 mgCopper509 µgIron4 mgMagnesium78 mgPhosphorus256 mgSelenium14 µgZinc1 mgVitaminsAmount Per PortionVitamin A67 µg RAEVitamin B60.6 mgVitamin B120.0 µgVitamin C52 mgVitamin D6 µgVitamin E3 mg ATVitamin K23 µgFolate122 µg DFEThiamin0.3 mgRiboflavin0.4 mgNiacin8 mgCholine63 mg