Just because I’m Jewish doesn’t mean my family doesn’t do something special Christmas morning ;-). These babies are light and fluffy, with the perfect chewy to crispy-ness ratio. So warm and satisfying. Crowd-pleaser approved.
The one essential ingredient for this recipe? MOCHI!
Mochi is traditionally seen in japanese cuisine, and this Grainaissance brand is literally just brown rice! But it puffs up like an incredible puffed pastry! You can buy it unflavored, or savory, I like the cinnamon raisin one for waffles. 🙂
Apple Cinnamon Topping:
- a grated apple
- grated ginger (to taste- start small! this stuff is powerful 🙂
- a drop of vanilla
- a handful of chopped walnuts
- mix well!
Serve with fresh berries, cinnamon, and real maple syrup :-*
* Magic! *
5 RECIPES TO SNEAK IN MORE NUTRIENTS
Banana ice cream with persimmon pulp in a pear cone: YUM!
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- 1 1/2 cup dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup cacao or carob powder
- 2 Tbs flax ground
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- topping: 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips and/or chopped nuts
- Grind oatmeal in a food processor until smooth
- Add dates, black beans, and rest of ingredients (except topping) until smooth, adding in water or non-dairy milk if necessary to create a smooth, well blended consistency..
- Spread batter evenly over a greased 8×8 inch brownie pan
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 0-35 minutes, until desired ooeyness
- Serve with banana ice cream
- Chicken Wings: (Thank You PETA!)
- 1 cup water or non-dairy milk
- 1 cup flour (any kind will work, even gluten free!)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into pieces
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (or buffalo or any hot sauce)
- Combine the water or non-dairy milk, flour, and garlic powder in a bowl and stir until well combined
- Coat the cauliflower pieces with the slower mixture and place on the parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes (until cauliflower is cooked and breading looks crispy)
- Let cauliflower cool about 5 minutes and then fold them in a bowl with BBQ sauce
- Bake another 5-8 minutes on parchment paper.
- Serve with vegan ranch dressing and celery sticks.
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 5 frozen bananas
- 5 fresh kale leaves, destemmed
- 7 fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup vegan chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or whatever topping you like! (try with cocoa powder and peanut butter!)
- Wait for bananas to be ripe, with brown spots, but not too mushy
- Peel and freeze 6 hours or over night
- Put greens in first so that they blend smoothly, put bananas on top and process until smooth and creamy. Takes about 5 minutes
- Spaghetti and Marinara (Thank You Compassionate Climber!)
- 2-3 Zucchinis, peeled with a potato peeler or spiralized with a spiralizer
- 1 tomato
- 1 tablespoon or more of Italian Seasoning (to taste)
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 red onion
- 2-4 dates (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 2 oz (apx 1/3 cup) sun dried tomato
Blend in a high speed blender until smooth
- Overnight Muesli (Thank You Chef AJ!)
- ½ cup quick or rolled oats
- ½ cup liquid: (water, non-dairy milk, orange juice)
- 1 Tbs chia seeds
- 2 Tbs raisins
- 1 apple, grated or chopped
- optional: 1tsp vanilla and cinnamon
Combine ingredients in a bowl, mix well and let sit in the fridge covered overnight.