Vegan Americana Demo:
Sweet Potato Burgers, BBQ Cauliflower Wings, Mom’s Blueberry Cornbread. Monday Sept. 8th 7-8pm CoRec Demo Kitchen, Purdue University. Call 765-494-3110 asap to reserve your spot!
Crowd pleasing, hearty, healthy vegan burgers. There is no way to mess these up- the ingredients will still taste fantastic. Inspired by Whole Foods and Istanbul’s Mediterranean cuisine. Great for parties, families, and Thanksgiving!
Makes about 24 beautiful burgers
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cooking Time: 45 minutes Total Time : 1 hour and 10 minutes
You will need…
- Large pot
- Mashed potato masher
- Cutting board
- Chef knife
- Large stirring spoon
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups
- Potato peeler
- 2 Cooling racks
- 2 Baking sheets
- Garnish: buns, tomato, avocado, mustard, ketchup, onions, pickles, etc.
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 4 cups cooked quinoa (2 cups dry quinoa cooked in 4 cups of water)
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 bunches dill
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 shallot or small red onion
- ¼ cup ground flax
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Prep for mise en place
- Peel and steam sweet potato
- Rinse and boil quinoa in 4 cups of water
- Wash and chop parsley and dill How to wash parsley
- Juice lemon
- Chop shallot
- Measure out craisins and flax
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Place cooling rack on top of baking sheet
- Mash steamed sweet potatoes until smooth in large pot
- Combine cooked quinoa with mashed sweet potatoes in large pot
- In a large bowl, combine parsley, dill, dried cranberries, lemon juice, shallot, flax, and spices and mix well
- Pour herb mix into sweet potato quinoa pot and mix well.
- Using a 1/3 cup measure, form the mixture into patties and place on the cooling rack on the backing sheet
- Bake for 40-50 minutes at 450 degrees F or until crispy.
- Serve over buns with tomatoes, avocado, lettuce, and choice of toppings and condiments.
Simple Guide To Plant Strong Burgers