This special treat for my family was BOMB. I feel totally confident having my picky manly meat eaters try, and love, these. They will DEFINITELY put hair on your chest ;). Vegan. Epic. Satisfying. They are spicy, but a sweet tang too. Like orange chicken at the chinese place! And this raw vegan ranch- creamy and cooling. I so recommend having this over rice. If I had tortillas it would have been bomb to make a rice cauliwing ranch burrito! Next time :).
Adapted from the amazing Vegan Richa
- 1 head of cauliflower (mine was small-medium-ish size)
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp flour (try oat or brown rice flour for gluten free, I used half whole wheat + half white)
- 3/4-1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder
- 1/2 tsp each of smoked paprika, chili powder/cayenne
- a very generous dash of black pepper
- 2 tsp oil (optional)
Sweet Sriracha Glaze:
- 1 cup mango jam (I used apricot) or preserves (or use orange marmalade or grape jelly for variations)
- 1/4 cup Sriracha sauce or to taste 🙂
- 1 Tbsp or more hot sauce or to taste (I used tabasco sauce)
- 1/4 cup Orange juice or apple juice (more juice if you like a thinner glaze)
- a generous pinch of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Chop the cauliflower into 1.5-2 inch pieces.
- Mix everything under batter in a bowl until smooth and thick enough batter that can coat the cauliflower pieces well.(add more flour if needed).
- Dip the cauliflower in the batter so each floret it covered and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Any extra, pour on top! Bake for 20 minutes.
- In a pan, mix all the ingredients under glaze and heat on medium. Taste and adjust spice, sweet and tang if needed(add oj / jam or lemon juice for extra sweet or tang). You can also use fresh or frozen ripe mango or orange puree + maple/sugar instead of preserves.
- Once the glaze is hot, add the baked cauliflower to it. Toss well to coat carefully and let the glaze come to a boil and thicken. 2-3 minutes. You can use a large pan that can fit all the florets or do 2 batches. do not toss/move the florets too much.
- Serve hot as is, with rice/grains or with any creamy cool dips like ranch. Alternatively, bring the sauce ingredients to a boil and pour over the baked cauliflower, toss to coat and serve.
Variations: Use grape jelly or Orange preserves. Add a 1/4 cup ketchup to the glaze.
Use Barbecue sauce or sweet and sour sauce.
To make buffalo wings, mix in enough hot sauce with melted vegan butter or oil (2:1 ratio) and toss the baked cauliflower in it, bake for a few minutes and serve.
Raw Vegan Ranch
Too easy- all you need is a blender, and blend blend blend!
- 1 1/4 cup whole raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- a little less than 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons liquid sweetener of choice (I used maple syrup)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried dill
- less than 1 tsp salt
Let it chill in the fridge for a few hours for it to turn super thick and creamy like legit ranch! I didn’t wait for it to chill in the pics above, it was still runny, but this stuff gets thick and delish!! Enjoy over your salad, with celery and carrots, or drizzled over your cauliwings! Yumyum! Gotta love health food 😉