My mother is obsessed with my lover, Nutty (short for Peanut Butter). My mother also loves the Vegan Reeses Cups I make! So, in honor of my beautiful plant-based Mama’s 59th, Samwise and I concocted a genius treat! Nutball Peanut Butter Cupcakes!
You will need:
- Cupcake tin and liners, either size is fine (we only made 6 Nutball Cupcakes and 24 minis)
- Food Processor S blade
For the Raw Chocolate Cake:
- 3 apples
- 1/2 lemon (squeezed)
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbs Raw Cacao Powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or other raw sweetener like coconut nectar)
- Less than 2 cups of Coconut Flour
- Smiles 🙂
- Start warming coconut oil and line cupcake pans. *Do not cut into apples until oil is warmed. We don’t want them to oxidize and turn brown.
- Chop apples and throw into food processor! Squeeze lemon on in! (If seedy lemon I suggest squeezing through a strainer)
- Let this go just until smooth
- Add in coconut oil, cacao powder, and sweetener and let the processor do its thing.
- Add in coconut flour, and process one last time 🙂 Should be a nice cakey consistency!
For the filling and frosting:
- Maple Syrup (or any raw sweetener) to taste
- Peanut butter
The filling has much less sweetener than the frosting. Use your judgement! Don’t underestimate yourself!
To assemble the cupcakes:
- Fill chocolate cake batter up to the top of the liners
- Scoop out the center
- Fill the center with your peanut butter filling
- Cover with more chocolate cake batter
- Freeze to set for about 15 minutes
- For the Nutball’s snout: cut a banana to the shape and place on bottom half of cupcake
- For the Nutball’s ears: cut a medjool date in half and shape to look like ears
- Cover the cupcake with the sweeter peanut butter frosting mixture and use raisins for eyes, nose and mouth 🙂
- For the Minis: simply dollop with sweeter frosting mixture and top with a little cacao powder!