Hello sunshine! Yes, I’m talking to you! Just because you’ve been cooped up in stuffy sick land of sadness all these rainy spring days, doesn’t mean I can’t see the sunshine within you! Health is on the way! Summer is the perfect time to get out- walk around, and simply be more active. Follow these summer suggestions, and your sexy self will stay!
- 1. Get the D. The vitamin D; a fat-soluble vitamin responsible for absorption of calcium and phosphate that is not necessarily necessary to the diet. Go outside! Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) is produced in the skin from 7-dehydrocholesterol reacting with ultraviolet light from the sun. Even if the UV index is high enough, exposure to light through windows is insufficient- 15-30 minutes of whole body sun exposure should meet recommendations for vitamin D! Get your vitamins in! Show a little skin!
- 2. Stop the Burn. Learn to Love Lycopene. Maybe the adage should be rewritten to “A tomato a day keeps the dermatologist away.” Eating tomatoes can help protect skin from sunburn, thanks to its key ingredient, the antioxidant lycopene. According to Women’s Health Mag, Volunteers who consumed 5 tablespoons of tomato paste daily for 3 months had nearly 25% more protection against sunburn in one study. Even better, skin had more collagen, which prevents sagging. Another reason to toss an extra tomato into your salad: German scientists report that higher skin levels of this antioxidant correlate to fewer fine lines and furrows!
- 3. Exercise Outside. So easy to workout in the summer! Go for a walk, hike, slack line, bike ride, swim, explore! The list is endless. Yoga outside, find fun running trails, or, get a friend, throw a Frisbee! Get a group together, shoot some hoops, soccer, golf, disk golf, what sport haven’t you tried?! Try it! There is absolutely no excuse when there is good whether to not be active. This is how people lose weight without even trying! They are just having fun moving and grooving in the sweet heat under the summer sun!
- 4. Fresh Fruit and Food! Go to Farmer’s Market. Go to Farmer’s Market. Go to Farmer’s Market. And did I mention you should go to Farmer’s Market? Organic, local food 1. Isn’t shipped in from who knows where destroying the planet with travel and unnecessary packaging 2. Isn’t pumped with chemicals to get them to last the trip 3. Aren’t pumped with colors and flavors to look appealing in a grocery store 4. Support local business 5. Are healthier for you because they produce their own antioxidants to stay alive instead of relying on chemicals that give you cancer and allergies and problems 6. Are grown in rich soil that gives he/she who eats the produce more vitamins/minerals 7. How the f do conventional plants grow in such depleted soil? Oh ya they’re pumped with more chemicals to grow and kill the bugs that eat them, I wonder what happens to my body when I eat such a crop. Allergies, cancer, torture, death. 8. Fresh Fruit is in season! Peaches, raspberries, blueberries galore! Get ‘em while they’re hot ladies and gents!
- 5. Let Yourself Sweat- When you sweat you breathe faster, your heart works more, your circulation improves and your metabolism accelerates, all in an effort to resume normal body temperature. Since circulation is increased during sweating, many toxins and impurities are able to leave the body through open skin pores.
- 6. Hydrate. With water and high water content foods! All that fresh fruit in the summer time has got your health and happiness! These sweet fruits taste like candy! Melons, berries, mmmmmm! Fruits and veggies, high water content, high awesome content. Also: always carry a water bottle with you! Recommendations are 8 cups a day and more if you’re sweating! Try measuring out 1 cup of water and see how many gulps it takes to drink it! Then when you’re drinking from a glass or bubbler, you can keep yourself in check!
- 7. Get Grounded. Take your shoes off! Humans evolved in connection with the Earth’s energy. We walked barefoot and slept in contact with the Earth, never realizing that its surface contained limitless, natural, healing energy. In the modern world we are disconnected from a primal, powerful source of energy and healing. The Earth is like a six sextillion (that’s six followed by 21 zeroes) metric ton battery that is continually being replenished by solar radiation, lightning, and heat from its deep molten core. The natural rhythmic pulsations of energy flowing through and emanating from the surface of the Earth keep the biological machinery and global life running in rhythm and balance- and that includes you! Feel the earth beneath your feet! Take your shoes off, let your hair down and dance in the rain! Connect with the healing power of this planet!
- 8. Write Goals Down: Summer is sweet; but short. Keep yourself accountable for exposing yourself to all of these awesome health-filled fitness opportunities! Make a bucket list! One of my goals?: “This summer I will: practice flex arm hang most days to be able to do 3 pull-ups by the end of the summer.” Notice I said “most days” to ensure I don’t give up if I decide to skip a day; giving leniency for life!
There you have it! Can you feel the sensational essence of summer now!? Start thinking of how you’ll accomplish all 8 of these this summer. Where is a Farmer’s Market near you? What time is best for you to go outside and be active? Where are you writing down your goals so that you will see them everyday? On a post-it on your mirror? Next to your bed? I know for a fact this great 8 will bring you the most vibrant summer ever! Can’t wait for you to experience it.