Tryptophan is an essential amino acid that is correlated with a positive outlook; it helps with production of serotonin!
Tryptophan may play a role in the prevention and/or treatment of the following health conditions:
- Obsessive/compulsive disorder
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Senile dementia
- Tourette’s syndrome
It also happens to be heat sensitive; it will denature between 110-118 degrees F. So, pretty much all raw fruits and vegetables are good sources of it! Anything cooked is missing tryptophan! Sounds like a sad situation, eh? Not to mention the vibrant beautiful life is missing from this cooked food! Humans are the only creatures that cook their food! Eating raw is fun! No waiting around for things to cook, no measuring needed, no worries about cross contamination, the benefits go on and on. And honestly, how can you be depressed when eating a banana?!
The Brilliant Artist: Mauricio Trujillo
Finals make it impossible to stay sane, trust me I know. But reading this list of advise posted at Kappa has done wonders for me, this coming week will be smooooth sailinggg! Remember: take care of your primary food (your sleep, relationships, stress level, etc) before you partake your secondary food (the food you eat). I happen to be a girl who overeats when stressed. Everyone is different; what do you do when stressed? Chances are it is detrimental to the problem at hand. Take care of your primary food. Follow these steps:
- Make a study schedule (and stick to it!) My friend Grace Bagshaw has helped me a lot by inspiring me to write down everything I need to do in the upcoming week as well as what needs to get accomplished on each day. Setting deadlines holds me accountable, and it relieves a lot of stress! Having what needs to be done on paper as opposed to relying on my overstuffed brain to remember it all- phew!
- EXERCISE! Even a short walk can relieve some anxiety. True story: was on the verge of crying/ severe stress induced anxiety, when thank the LORD I had to teach dance mania and all of the sudden it was the best day ever. Exercise clears your head, keeps you motivated, and releases endorphins that make you happy. Doing 30 jumping jacks! Do them with me?! Lets go! 3.. 2.. 1..!!!
- Find a friend (or sister) and talk it out! Studying difficult material can be overwhelming. A study buddy who you can explain concepts with is such a lifesaver! Be sure to tell them how much you appreciate them!
- Organize and declutter your study space so you can focus 100% Okay, I am probably the messiest person ever, NO WONDER I get so stressed! Once I cleared off my desk, I felt REJUVINATED! EMPOWERED and even EXCITED to study! Wtf right?! Happy cleaning!
- Get enough sleep. Pulling all nighters usually work against you! Frying your brain makes it difficult to retain memories. I know this one can hard to follow through with, (guilty!), just try to get as much sleep as you can, ok?
- Eat balanced meals throughout the week and drink water (not just coffee!) This is a big one. Too often do we chow down all day long while studying. (At least that’s what I’m guilty of doing). Eating and studying should not be multi-tasked. Let yourself study, and let yourself take a break, say a prayer, and enjoy a nice meal, and get back to studying. Primary food before secondary food!
- Take study breaks (listen to music, take a nap, etc) and let your brain rest a bit! Red flag for time to take a break? : When you aren’t retaining anything, when you feel ridiculously overwhelmed and antsy, when you have been studying for a while and could just use a break! It’s ok! Give yourself credit for all that you do!
- Be confident! Take a deep breath and know you are trying your best! I know you want to be better than your best, so do I! But like I said, give yourself a little credit!
We are so lucky to be blessed with this amazing education. Embrace it! You have the power to succeed! Let that feeling drive you! It should feel really good :-)! Best of luck!
Yes, 100% Raw Vegan Power
“May I please have a salad?”
“May I please have a cup of fresh cilantro on it?”
“May I please have three scoops of the pico de gallo?”
“May I please have two scoops of the corn salsa?”
“May I please have one scoop of guacamole?”
“Thank you very much!!”
Then I go to the drinks area and get lots of lemon wedges to squeeze on for some refreshing zing! Chow down!
This Pad Thai Recipe is from Megan Elizabeth! The amazing Mallory Rotondo and I both agree that it is SO good!!!!! So refreshingly light and satisfying. The perfect combination of tangy and sweet with a warm ginger sesame, creamy feel. Fine dining is all I do these days apparently!
Ginger Citrus Noodles Blender or Food Processor; I didn’t measure anything, and it turned out just fine 🙂
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup coconut meat
- ½ cup (measured not chopped) fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions (I didn’t have scallions)
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 big sage leaves
- chopped ginger- slice the size of a quarter, chopped little
- 1 ½ Tbs of raw tahini (I used ground raw sesame seeds)
Pad Thai Noodles
- ½ cup of spiralized or shredded carrots (we didn’t have any carrot)
- ½-1/3 small red pepper sliced as thin as possible (Mallory diced- I liked the bite of pepper!)
- 3 ½ – 4 cups of spiralized zucchini
- put all noodles in a big bowl together
- blend all dressing ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor until creamy
- massage dressing in noodles (maybe let sit to really marinate)
- garnish with lemon twist and cilantro!
- take a deep breath and savor every flavor, then, lick your plate clean! 😛
Think you don’t have what it takes to crack open a coconut?! First of all, if I can do it, you can DEFINITELY do it, and second of all watch how easy it is to open a coconut with a butter knife!
Megan used raw tahini, I am too cheap for that, so I made my own with raw sesame seeds and a coffee grinder! It comes out thick like paste!
Mallory spiralized the zucchini and diced some yellow and red bell peppers!
Something about these textures was SO SPOT ON. I am eating this whole batch myself. It’s just too good. Will make again soon for sure, don’t worry guys.
- food processor
- frozen bananas
So thick and creamy!!!! Bon Appetit!
These were made for a crowd of meat-eating, SAD (Standard American Diet) young women (aka the Senior Pledge Class of Kappa Kappa Gamma at Purdue University in West Lafayette, IN) and I quote Amy Harshman, “It was absolutely phenomenal” Their minds- BLOWN TO PIECES. You have to try these!!
Zucchini, potato peeled into long thin strips, doubling up if too thin
- 2 oz (apx 1/3 cup) sun dried tomato
- 1 tomato
- 1 tablespoon or more of Italian Seasoning (to taste)
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- rosemary (optional)
- 1/4 cup red onion
- olive oil (optional)
- 2-4 dates (depending on how sweet you like it)
blend until smooth, unless you like it chunky
- 1 cup whole raw cashews (unsalted not roasted)
- 1 Tbs miso
- 1 Tbs nutritional yeast
- pinch of nutmeg
- less than a pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- pinch of pepper
- just enough water to get it going
blend until smooth
- 2-3 cups basil
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 cloves garlic
- tiny pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- 1 Tbs nutritional yeast
- appx 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup walnuts
marinara, cheese, and pesto onto one end of the zucchini slice, then roll
Can make amazing pasta too!
zucchini pasta with spiralizer
Craving something refreshing, satisfying and delicious?? Me too!
- Food Processor or Blender:
- 2 oranges
- ginger (see second picture, that’s how much ginger I used)
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 3 sage leaves (mint would have been delightful! Or basil! What’s your favorite herb?)
Be sure to roll out your lime like this so that more juice comes out and it is easier to squeeze!
Any version of this Fresh Fruit Cereal (click for step by step instructions!) is delicious! Whats your favorite Fruity Fruit Cereal?! 😛
Ingredients may be changed to tickle your fancy! Whatever keeps your sweet tooth afloat!
- Grind about a handful of walnuts alone in food processor
- Add in 1-2 bananas, carob powder, a dash of vanilla extract, and cinnamon, process until smooth
- Pulse in a few more walnuts if you like chunks 🙂
- Top with whatever! Enjoy in good health and happiness ❤