7 Health Fitness Myths- BUSTED
Unfortunately, you can’t believe everything you hear out there. But don’t worry, I’ve debunked some debaucheries deeming you doomed! Check out what I have to say, and having a confident and wise outlook you may!
- I CAN SLIM DOWN BY SWITCHING TO DIET SODA- There is nothing in soda or diet soda that is at all beneficial to the body. Recent research shows that artificial sweeteners stimulate taste receptors that sense sweetness in both the esophagus and the stomach. So, chemicals are sent to the brains satiety center, which becomes confused as to whether or not the body is actually receiving calories. As the sugar substitute tricks your body, cravings for more sugar commence! You become susceptible to overeating in order to feel satisfied, leading to weight gain. Also, artificial sweeteners are more than 100 times sweeter than natural table sugar; which is terrible and freaky because it causes naturally sweet foods, like fruits, to not seem as sweet, ultimately desensitizing the palate. Try a healthier alternative like a glass of seltzer with lemon or lime!
- EATING CARBOHYDRATES MAKES YOU FAT- Carbohydrates are the body’s energy source! The number of calories you eat and burn on a daily basis is what determines your weight, and cutting carbs could rob you of significant health and nutritional benefits like energy, fiber, digestive health, and lowering blood cholesterol. Carbs are made up of sugars hat break down to provide either quick energy or slow burning, sustained energy over a period of several hours. “Simple” carbs, such as those found in most fruits, are quick energy sources, while “complex” carbs as in whole grains, provide longer-lasting energy. If you want to be able to function at your best, carbs are certainly necessary!!
- LIFTING WEIGHTS WILL MAKE YOU LOOK BULKY- Been avoiding the free weights for fear of becoming the Incredible Hulk? Testosterone is the secret to increasing muscle size. Men have 20-30 times more testosterone than women, which is why they can bulk up so noticeably. If you’d like to become Arnold Schwarzenegger, you’d need to do an obscene amount of weight lifting, take steroids, or have some sort of hormone imbalance genetically. Tone and firm are in! And muscle mass is key to revving up your metabolism to keep you trim in the long term! Stretching those muscles also helps get longer leaner muscles. Try incorporating yoga or foam rolling with your weight training if you are really nervous of bulk.
- VITAMIN SUPPLEMENTS ARE NECESSARY FOR EVERYONE- If you eat the right quantity of calories from a variety of foods including a variety of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains you don’t need to supplement. Most American’s don’t eat a variety of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, so a multi-vitamin is considered a good idea.
- CONSUMING EXTRA PROTEIN IS NECESSARY TO BUILD MUSCLE MASS- Contrary to claims of protein supplement companies, consuming extra protein does nothing to bulk up muscle. The protein needs for significant increase of weight training can easily come from food. The problem with supplements is the body has to work overtime to get rid of excess protein!
- SPOT REDUCTION- Think doing crunches or using the abs machine will get rid of belly fat?? Think again! In order to reduce the circumference of your waste line, incorporating endurance, cardio exercise as well as all over muscle conditioning is necessary! And don’t think running is counterproductive to strength training! Unless you’re looking to gain weight and dramatically increase muscle mass- incorporating cardio is key to reduce the percentage of fat on the body. Sorry ladies, spot reduction is impossible. There’s nothing you can do to get the fat off your belly to move to your booty. To get all around healthy and tone, the recommendations are 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week and strength training 3 days a week minimum.
- YOU NEED TO TAKE FISH OIL- By now, the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids have been well established and it seems as if everyone has to take fish oil. This increased demand has led to a mass production of fish for their oil. If you still think you need the stuff, search the source and make sure it’s clean- no use of hormones, antibiotics or coloring to make up for the black overcrowded murky waters those farmed fish live in. There are lots of other great sources of omega-3 fatty acids like walnuts, chia seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds, and algal oil that are a much cleaner, delicious, and a more sustainable alternative J!
Sweet relief! You know what’s up! Now that you’ve read this, it’s already begun! So get down, and get it done! I can’t guarantee it will be easy, but I can assure you it will be fun! Especially in the long run!