Thanksgiving can be a scary situation for vegans and vegetarians. These recipes are easy and delicious, I am certain everyone at your feast will love them!
Festive Holiday Kale Salad:
You will need: a large bowl, a serving bowl, a blender, a cutting board, a knife, and people you really love to share this amazing dish with.
- 1-2 bunches of kale
- 2 pomegranates
- 1 bunch green onion (half chopped half blended)
- 1 large bunch dill (half chopped half blended)
- 1 bunch mint (half chopped half blended)
- 2 Tbs tahini (I used 2 Tbs hemp seeds)
- 2 cups currents or raisins (I didn’t use raisins at the demo)
- ½ cup pure lime juice
- ½ cup orange juice
- 4 dates
- 2 cups walnuts
- Wash, de-stem, and schiffinade kale
- Chop using either a food processor S blade, or a knife and cutting board, half of the bunches of scallion, dill, and mint
- Deseed pomegranates (with a large spoon, banging on the outside of 1/2 of the fruit so the seeds just fall into your palm)
- chop walnuts
- Blend juice, dates, and the other half of the bunches of green onion, dill, and mint
- Massage dressing into kale thoroughly with gloved or very very clean hands
- Using tongs, mix in nuts and pomegranate seeds
- Serve chilled <3
Fully Raw Pumpkin Pie:
You will need: food processor S blade, pie plate, rubber spatula, and pumpkin lovers!
- ~1 lb dates
- 1.5-2 cups pecans
- 1-2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 cups pie pumpkin
- ~2 lbs dates
- Ginger, thimble sized piece
- ~168grams persimmon pulp
- 1-2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Using food processor S blade, put pecans in first, then dates and cinnamon, and pulse and blend until desired crust texture
- Take out the blade
- Press all around pie crust
- Put pumpkin chunks and then dates, persimmon, cinnamon, ginger, and spice in vitamix, or food processor S blade
- Blend until completely smooth
- Rubber spatula into pie crust
- Freeze to set (about 2 hours)
- 12 oz bag cranberries (1lb)
- 1-2 oranges, peeled and deseeded
- 5 dates
- Pit dates
- Peel and deseed oranges
- Put all ingredients into food processor
- Process until desired smoothness
- Rubber spatula into bowl, let chill
Watch Chef AJ!
Thank you to everybody who came! What a wonderful crowd! Hope to see you all and more at the Raw Desserts Demo: February 19, 2015!
Posted in college, Demos, Happiness, health, Recipes, vegan
Tagged college, dairy free, demonstration, easy, fat free, food, gluten free, healthy, low fat, oil free, pie, plant based, pumpkin, recipe, thanksgiving, vegan, vegetarian, wellness
What a fun interactive demo! Everybody learned how easy it is to make raw veggies taste delicious, and got to roll their own sushi! We made Miso Soup, Ginger Citrus Zoodles, Jicima Rice, Sushi, and Green Tea Nice Cream!
Miso Soup: adapted from minimalistbaker
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup kale, chopped
- ½ cup green onion, chopped
- ¼ cup mushrooms, chopped
- 3-4 Tbs white miso paste
- 1 sheet nori cut into rectangles
- Bring water to low simmer
- Add nori and simmer for 5-10 minutes
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for 5 minutes or so
- To ensure miso doesn’t clump, stir it in through the strainer
- Taste and add more miso if desired. Serve warm
Ginger Citrus Zoodles: Adapted from Megan Elizabeth
- ½ cup spiralized or shredded carrots
- ½-1/3 small red pepper sliced thin
- 3 ½ – 4 cups spiralized zucchini
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup cashews
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup scallions
- 2 Tbs lemon or lime juice
- 2-3 big sage leaves
- Quarter sized slice of ginger
- 1 ½ Tbs raw tahini
- Put noodles in a big bowl together
- Blend all dressing ingredients until creamy
- Massage dressing in noodles and let sit 10-15 mins
- Put greens on plate (spinach, mixed greens), noodles on top of greens, and garnish with sprouts.
Jicama Rice Papaya Sushi: adapted from Megan Elizabeth and The Life Regenerator
Ingredients (whatever veggies you want!!)
- Nori sheets
- 2 jicamas
- Papaya spears
- Green onion
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Bell pepper
- Medium ripe avocado
- Grate jicama and squeeze out excess water using nut milk bag
- Layer rice and veggies on nori sheet
- Using 2 fingers, wet the end of the nori sheet with lime or water to get it to stick
- Slice sushi with very sharp knife
- Serve with gluten free soy sauce or Ginger Citrus Dressing
Green Tea Nice Cream
- 1 heaping Tbs fresh roughly chopped peeled ginger
- 1-2 Tbs hulled hemp seeds
- 1 serving packet of matcha green tea powder (like $1.00 each packet at Sunspot)
- 3 ripe peeled and frozen bananas (freeze for at least 6 hours)
- 1/2 cup frozen mango chunks
- water as needed to not break your blender or food processor
- Using a food processor S blade, or high power blender, put in the ginger, hemp seeds, and mango chunks
- Sprinkle in the green tea powder I like to put this in the middle so it doesn’t get stuck to the bottom of the container, but no biggie
- Break up bananas into fourths and throw in container
- Blend until smooth
Posted in college, Demos, dietetics, easy, health, Recipes, student
Tagged college, dairy free, demonstration, diet, dietetics, easy, fully raw, health, nutrition, raw, raw vegan, recipes, sushi, vegan, vegetarian
Learn why getting your calcium from dairy milk is a practice of the past. Thank you to Connie Weaver, (Purdue Researcher), Registered Dietitians Julieanna Hever and Mckel Hill, as well as Dr. T. Colin Campbell for the information in this article.
Please click to read and share on facebook and twitter to save the world!
Posted in advice, college, dietetics, Eats, fitness, Nutrients!?, The Odyssey, Tips :), vegan
Tagged animalrights, benefits, calcium, college, dairy, dairy free, dietetics, dietitian, environment, food, health, milk, nutrition, odyssey, plant based, sustainability, vegan, vegetarian
I know, Black Bean Brownies?! EW Right?! I was honestly really nervous about these but they ended up being WAY BETTER than ANY BROWNIE EVER!
I just had an incredible gluten free vegan dinner date with three of the sweetest dietetics students! They LOVED these brownies that Chef AJ inspired me to make. Want delicious food that you can eat eat eat and still be slim and feel amazing after? Well Chef AJ and Registered Dietitian Julieanna Hever have got the recipes you need! These are so decadent and moist. I recommend serving with cold banana nice cream. Fresh brownies out the oven, fresh frozen bananas on top. OOoo baby you gotta try this!!
These brownies are REAL FOOD! None of this refined flours, sugars or oils making you go crazy. These are virtually fat free with a great source of omega-3 essential fatty acids from the flax. I love the stable blood sugar keeping me fueled with carbs that are mixed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Black beans- great source of protein and iron. Oatmeal is basically the cholesterol sucker. Dates- the potassium and fiber filled candy. And antioxidant rich cocoa?! Heck- I’ll eat the whole &^%^& pan!!!
Unprocessed Black Bean Brownies and Chocolate Soft Serve- gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, flour free, almost fat-free, nutrient dense <3
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- 1 1/2 cup dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup cacao or carob powder
- 2 Tbs flax ground
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- optional: 1/3 cup vegan gluten free chocolate or carob chips, or chopped nuts!
(I just threw all of the ingredients into my friends Ninja food processor, but I’m sure doing it this way would work well to ensure smoothness)
- Grind oatmeal in a food processor until smooth
- Add dates and black beans until smooth, adding in water or non-dairy milk if necessary to create a smooth, well blended consistency
- Add in the ground oats and the rest of the ingredients except optional topping and blend until smooth
- EAT ENTIRE BOWL OF BROWNIE BATTER
- ..just kidding..well, you could! Haha for brownies though: Spread brownie batter into a parchment paper lined, or sprayed with cooking spray, brownie pan and sprinkle chocolate chips or nuts on top. Nuts would have also been really good folded throughout the batter for a nice crunch
- Bake at 350 F until desired ooeyness <3
- Serve with Monica’s Chocolate Banana Soft Serve:
- 1-2 frozen bananas
- 2-3 Tbs unsweetened almond milk
- 2-3 Tbs cocoa powder
- optional 1 Tbs flax or walnuts or more chocolate chips!
- Blend in food processor or Vitamix until smooth!
Posted in brownies, cheap, college, dessert, dietetics, dinner
Tagged bananas, black bean brownies, brownie recipe, chocolate, dates, diet, dietetics, dinner, exercise, fitness, food, HAPPINESS, health, ice cream, inspiration, lifestyle, love, motivation, nutrition, oatmeal, plant based, vegan, vegetarian, weight loss, wellness
I helped to establish a brand new group at Purdue University called Be Veg At Purdue by undertaking the role of treasurer and managing finances. It is a challenging learning experience, and I absolutely love it! Making new like-minded friends and coming together to make the world a better place <3 Taking a van to Chicago Vegan Mania was our second event of the semester and it was INCREDIBLE!
What a dream come true! There were professional presentations, talks, food demos, Q&A panels, food vendors and vegan people and products up that wazoo!!
The highlight of my day was attending Chef AJ’s Demo! She was a RIOT! What a comedian with singing and silliness! Too much fun in the kitchen! Not only was she entertaining, but she was brilliant. I was presently suprised by her nutrition knowledge and expertise. I highly recommend checking her out and watching her videos with Julieanna Hever, The Plant Based Dietitian. Amazing source for truly healthy recipes that are also truly delicious!
Robert Cheeke, Mike Vlasaty, and Karen Calabrese were all there too! I am such a huge fan! But was too caught up in all of the excitement to get to meet everybody. It was way to exciting running around meeting people and stuffing myself with vegan junk food. What a treat! So glad the Be Veg At Purdue Club got me to be able to come to such a great event! We hope to put on an event like this sometime in the future! If you want to present at Purdue for an event like this, email me at email@example.com!
P.S. I so would have overloaded this post with pictures if my phone wasn’t broken! So much amazing foodporn, was seriously trippin about not having a camera :-/ Sorry loves! Happy Eating Healthy! <3 <3 <3
Posted in Be Veg At Purdue, college, Demos, Happiness, health, plant based, student
Tagged Chef AJ, chicago, chicago vegan mania, demonstration, dietitian, food, healthy, plant based, presentation, recipe, vegan, vegetarian, whole
To read full article click here!
Inspired by The Balanced Blonde <3
Posted in The Odyssey, yoga
Tagged dates, dating, diet, fitness, health, hot girls, love, relationships, wellness, yoga
Yuuumm!! Want something smooth, creamy, sweet, tangy, spicy, cool, filling, and refreshing? Something low fat, gluten free, nutrient dense, cancer curing, heart disease reversing, and blood pressure lowering? Something that will smooth up your skin and slow the aging process?!
Yes, please! I am BEYOND GRATEFUL that this guy came and surprised me with an amazing raw vegan dinner- made in my lil dorm room :) Thank you SamWise!
- 3 zucchinis, peeled with a potato peeler to make thick noodles, or if you’ve got a spiralizer, use that!
- Schiffinade iceberg lettuce
Dressing: adjust ingredient quantities as desired. Blend in high speed blender until smooth.
- Organic Mango Juice
- Sugar Plum Cherry Tomatoes
- Lime Juice
- Bell Pepper
- Brazil Nuts
- Organic Frontier Thai Curry Powder
- Lil jalapeno
Hope you love this easy, healthy, and yuummmmmmy recipe as much as I did! Enjoy and reap good health! <3
Posted in 80/10/10, college, dinner, easy, Gluten Free, Happiness, health, Superheroes
Tagged 80/10/10, breakfast, cancer, college, diet, dietetics, dinner, dorm room, easy, eatclean, fitness, HAPPINESS, health, healthy, inspiration, love, nutrition, recipe, salad, vegan, vegetarian, WEIGHTLOSS, wellness